Why does there need to be a group for humanists?
Human beings are social animals, so we often feel the need to get together. This might be for support, or to learn new things, to meet new people, or to work together for a common cause. Most often, we just want to get together for the sake of it, to relax and to have fun with like-minded people.
Local humanist groups exist for anyone who wants to get together in relation to their humanist, atheist or secularist beliefs. The groups undertake a variety of activities that give people the opportunity to:
- Meet and socialise with like-minded people;
- Campaign on humanist, atheist and secularist issues;
- Learn, exchange ideas, and debate issues;
- Volunteer and engage in other charitable work;
- Represent atheist, humanist and secularist views, and provide a balance to the influence of religious groups;
- Promote and celebrate scientific and rational thinking;
- Promote humanism as a life-stance;
- Have fun!
Central London Humanists – what we do
Central London Humanists (CLH) is the local humanist group for anyone who lives, works or otherwise finds themselves in central London, or anyone from further away who wants to come along. The group meets several times a month for a variety of activities, such as:
- The pub social: an informal get-together, without a structure or agenda.
- The monthly talk: experts on relevant subjects deliver a talk and takes questions, and this is followed by drinks and an informal chat at a local pub.
- The book group: a monthly book club
- Special events: such our recent fundraiser ‘Stand-Up for Darwin‘
- Campaigning events: CLH works closely with alongside groups such as the BHA and the Secular Europe Campaign on protests and publicly visible campaigns
For details go to our events page on Meetup.
How do we work?
The Central London Humanists is managed, in accordance with its constitution, by an executive committee, and consists of officers who are elected annually from and by the groups’ voting members. The current officers are:
- Alan Palmer Treasurer
- Baptiste Bourgougnon Committee Member
- Clive Aruede Campaigns Organiser
- Damian Belson Chair
- Ian Symons Secretary
- Katia Urquiza Book Group Organiser
- Mary Grove Events Organiser and Photographer
- Stella Dessoy Events Organiser
- Steve Clapman Committee Member
- Trisha Rogers International
Association with other organisations
The Central London Humanists are an official Partner of Humanists UK. They are also an associate member of the International Humanist and Ethical Union (IHEU) and a consultative member of the European Humanist Federation (EHF).